In harmony with nature and the human being
Weleda was one of the first to use biodynamic and organic ingredients in the personal care industry. In addition to strictly using biodynamic and organic ingredients, Weleda supports Fair Trade practices and is a staunch opponent of animal testing. Such practices uphold the brand's founding virtue, "In harmony with nature and the human being."
- Weleda is certified natural by the BDIH and the Natural Products Association
- Weleda grows over 300 varieties of healing plants in their own biodynamic gardens.
- All outside materials used in the production of products are obtained through Fair Trade practices.
- Weleda helps communities worldwide by assisting villagers in converting conventional farms into sustainable operations.
The brand was born in 1921 when a group of pharmacists and physicians gathered in Switzerland under the guidance of Dr. Rudolf Steiner to create a natural medicine and personal care company.
Merging pharmaceutical techniques with a spiritual approach to healing, Dr. Rudolf Steiner and his colleagues formulated a truly innovative line of quality products based upon the study of relationships between the substances and processes of nature and the human being. The company was named Weleda in honor of traditional Celtic women healers.
Other interesting facts
- All the ingredients in Weleda products are harvested at peak times and processed in small batches.
- Production of products in done according to a holistic criteria in order to maintain the original life force of the ingredients.
- All packaging is constructed using recyclable materials